It's fair to say that just over 2 years ago when Qbit signed De Grey Mining as a Managed Services customer, neither
De Grey nor Qbit fully understood the journey we were about to embark on.
Back then De Grey were a relatively small exploration company, with large ambitions for success. Recently, De Grey were globally recognized as the "Best Emerging Company" at the Diggers and Dealers forum in Kalgoorlie.
Successful growth requires a well thought out, flexible and scalable, IT strategy. Qbit recognized and factored in De Grey's ambitions from the start and was dynamic enough to bend and flex with the rapid changes happening at De Grey.
What has emerged from the last 2 years is a very strong & beneficial partnership between our 2 companies.
When De Grey hit the mother lode up in the Pilbara, they needed to rapidly deploy remote site operations. Communications and Data being the core deliverables to ensure operational efficiency, safety, and real time data.
When setting up shop in the middle of nowhere, location and environmental factors can seriously limit and affect your options. Obit partner with several communications and data providers that service remote regions of Australia. We have deployed comms to many remote locations, allowing us to quickly take the following steps.
- Assess and map nearby comms and connectivity infrastructure, and quickly evaluate suitability for De Grey’s immediate
- Research options to address short term requirements for immediate deployment – 4G / Satellite NBN / SDWAN / Bonded 4G
- Investigate timeline, and create project plan for addressing long term requirements – Microwave / Fibre / Onsite Wi-fi Network /Point to Point
- Deployment of VOIP (3CX) solution (Head office and Onsite)
- Deployment of ruggedized tablets and equipment.
The rapid deployment of effective solutions allowed De Grey to get on the ground quickly, and scale accordingly as their operation grew. Some of the benefits include:
- Improved data & communications has increased efficiencies in uploading geological drilling data to the head office, as well as 3rd Party stake holders.
- Access to corporate systems, documents, and infrastructure has improved workflows and onsite efficiency.
- Increased safety protocols
- With improved communications, increased ability to provide timely IT support to various IT equipment remotely.
"Qbit are a smart and friendly bunch of IT professionals that we know have our back. Our growth has been rapid, and as a result, we have needed an IT company that can move quickly and knows their stuff. As well as providing a well maintained, secure, and scalable network for our corporate operations in Perth, Qbit has gone the extra mile in sending technical staff out to assess our remote sites of operation. Giving them a thorough understanding of the landscape, so they can provide us with the best available communications, connectivity, and infrastructure solutions to address our specific needs Successful growth requires a well thought out, flexible and scalable, IT strategy. Qbit recognized and factored in De Grey's ambitions from the start and was dynamic enough to bend and flex with the rapid changes happening at De Grey. What has emerged from the last 2 years is a very strong & beneficial partnership between our 2 companies."
CFO I Company Secretary
De Grey Mining LTD
Fabio Suffell - Director
Return to Case Studies